Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Draft Thoughts    

3:10 PM
Just got back home... plenty of wreckage to sift through. This has been, by far, the most intrigue-ridden first round in the NFL Draft I can remember. Even when you remove the sheer idiocy behind Houston's selection of Mario Williams, lots of interesting stuff has happened. But the Texans are obviously the catalyst behind everything else that has happened.

Mario Williams
Klosterman summed this up pretty nicely on Page 2 today. I will add one thought... I've never seen a running back like Reggie Bush, and that's not the generally-accepted position on Williams and his play at defensive end. Williams may pan out, but this was the worst use of a #1 pick since Kwame Brown.

Reggie Bush to New Orleans
The Texans screwed over the Saints' prospects for 2006 in a big way. This was the correct pick for New Orleans, but I don't know how they plan to resolve the situation.

[10:36 edit... didn't finish this thought. I guess you just let Deuce McAllister play out the season, have him prove that he's healthy, and trade him as soon as his stock rises high enough. 2006 becomes a big, fat "trade me" carrot for Deuce; the better he plays, the more likely he is to name his destination. Or maybe New Orleans trades Bush. It would be unheard of to do so after so many picks have been made, but not outlandish. Who knows.]

Vince Young to Tennessee
I like this. I'm not a huge Matt Leinart fan, but I still think you take Vince Young over Leinart.

Vernon Davis to San Francisco
Alex Smith was momentarily deafened by the sound of him shitting himself in joy over this pick. Tight ends are like catnip to young quarterbacks. This might help Smith get on the right track.

Leinart to Arizona
This is a draft pick made in heaven. Arizona is a real team now, and Leinart has upper-echelon talent to throw to. It's the absolute best thing that could have happened to Leinart, though. He has absolutely no pressure on him for the coming season, but given his arsenal of weapons (Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Edgerrin James) and the fact that he's not as raw as your average rookie quarterback, he has the pull a Roethlisberger this season.

Cutler to Denver
I dunno about this guy. If you're gonna give a project to anybody, it might as well be Mike Shanahan, but it doesn't change the fact that he's never done anything to warrant his draft status. So I guess I'm glad he's in Denver, because I hate their guts.

3:40 PM
The Patriots just picked RB Laurence Maroney. 5'11", 217. I know absolutely nothing about him, but if Belichick and Pioli think he's good enough to spend a #1 on, then I'm satisfied. In fact, I'm kinda glad they surprised me. Gives me a little more faith that they're not on autopilot to the extent that it's seemed for the last month or two. So I'm happy.

More on this way, way, way later.

7:15 PM
The Pats just traded up to grab Chad Jackson in the early 2nd round. In a weak year at RB and WR, we got two of the few talented gentlemen at their positions. Excellent.

10:25 PM
First day's over. The Pats' third-round pick is a tight end (David Thomas), who doesn't really fill a need. While I'm a little surprised that the top three Patriot draft picks are all offensive players, Belichick and Pioli tend to get good value out of their later picks, so I'd imagine they'll grab a linebacker or a DB tomorrow. Maybe not someone who can start, but probably someone they can grow over a year or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home