Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Phillies management to fans: the killings will continue until morale improves    

So.... the Yankees just coup d'Abreued Philadelphia out of their best player, in return for a few marginal prospects and a bag of potato knishes. Oh, that and ensured that El Gigante Sid will not make another start for the Yanks this year. Lidle v. Pontoon Boat = Tyson v. Spinks.

What exactly are Philly fans supposed to think about this one? I mean, they landed Abreu back in the day in one of the most lopsided trades in MLB history, and they turn around and send him out of town for 8 cents on the dollar. I refuse to believe that this is the best offer they got. I suppose it's possible that NY was the only team to offer to take on Abreu/Lidle's salary.

Anyway, HUGE steal for NY. If Lidle can go 6 innings and 3 runs, we're gonna be hard to keep out of the playoffs.

Sad day for Philly... they've now seen their best 4 players run out of town. Schilling/Rolen/Thome/Abreu. That's a championship core if I've ever seen one. And only Thome left for reason other than the fans/management turning on him (see: Ryan Howard). Disgraceful. I don't care how insane your media and fanbase are (Hi Boston), if management is remotely responsible, they figure out a way to make it work (Theo/Manny, e.g.)

I still have two games left on my Philly ticket package, and I get the feeling the stadium is gonna be on suicide watch. Sad sad sad.

1 Comments:

  • I hope someone in the Phillies organization saw something in those prospects that I don't, and that they're right. Because they just made the Yankees a lot better this year, and if it didn't make them better in the long run, I'm going to be very upset. Like the Yankees need the extra advantage of dumb-ass GMs getting hosed in deals with them!

    And Wilson, too, for Chacon. Chacon! Not a huge, huge talent, but what are the Pirates thinking? If they want to help some team out with lopsided trades, I suggest a different one.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home