Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

For Those NOT About To Rock...    

It has come to my attention that two of this blog's three readers are uninterested by hockey talk.  I challenge you two to tell me what else is so interesting that it demands discussion.

How about NFL training camp?  Hey, we can talk about T.O.!  Or the Pats' depth chart at linebacker!  None of that stupid T.O. soap opera shite up in here, missy.  I'd rather go comment on the folks in the pissers down the hall.... "gentle readers, Ronald really has a knack for keeping the entire urinal surface area covered in pee."

You should talk about the new BCS!  College football is for retards.

Baseball!  It's August, you should talk the first-place Red Sox.  I've said my piece on steroids, and thanks to the most impotent deadline trades in history there are no changes in the pennant races worth discussing in detail.  The Sox are in the catbird seat, except inasmuch as the Yankees can block any and all waiver deals involving Boston.  Oakland has made its annual push towards contention, but I expect a 2004-style collapse more than a 2003-style assertion... no Miggie.  And that's the only news there is.  So, what's next?

Hey, how's that fantasy team looking?  Ben Sheets' post-break WHIP is impressive.  Get that shit out of my house, Brandon Funston.  First Rule of Postgame Spread is you do not talk about fantasy.  Second Rule of Postgame Spread is... you do not talk about fantasy.

So that leaves hockey.  This offseason is the most compelling in history, and it deserves more attention than it's getting.  In fact, I don't think I'm posting enough about hockey.  Where's the post about Pittsburgh's signings?  Or how Colorado's cupboard is suddenly bare?  How the Blackhawks actually overpaid for the premier goalie on the market?  Excepting Bertie's return to Vancouver, I've barely even touched on any of it.  There's tons of real, actual news to discuss, none of this stupid "will they renegotiate?!?" crap.  Who cares?  That doesn't affect the on-field product one friggin' bit.  Nashville signing Paul Kariya, however, is major news for a young franchise.  That's a much bigger deal than whether T.O. is getting cheered or booed at practice today.

1 Comments:

  • Hey m_r, thanks for visiting. And thanks for sticking up for hockey! Unlike my co-conspirators on this site, we clearly have good taste.

    You're right, Tkachuk and Weight are probably a little old to be traded for anything of value. But Eric Brewer is tight. He's not a Hart candidate, and his O isn't all that good, but he's a pretty good consolation prize if you had to lose Pronger.

    Pavol Demitra can be replaced easily enough, but I think he'll have a big year if the refs stand by the so-called "zero tolerance" rules... I bet the guys with the biggest breakouts will be soft Euros like Demitra.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home