Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

They got it right    

Well, baseball at last got it right... in the most ass-way possible.

That's right, cable subscribers can shell out their $160 to get the Extra Innings package this year, despite MLB's attempts to whor-... sell exclusive rights to DirecTV for the next decade.

I've argued that, as with NFL's Sunday Ticket package, selling exclusive rights to broadcast these packages is highly stupid, as it is limiting your audience. Even though exclusive rights sell for heap big wampum, the long-term limits it puts on growth just aren't worth it financially, especially at a time when baseball is clearly in the healthiest financial state it's been in history, and fan interest at home and abroad is spreading like HPV in America's university system.

So, Bravo, MLB, for going the smart route, for now. And Bravo, Senator Kerry, for using this issue to waste some of Congress' time.

Of course, if you're a Dish Network subscriber, you can go fuck yourself.

As for me, I had made the decision to switch to DirecTV over this matter, cause I am as hopelessly addicted to Extra Innings as Fry is to Slurm.


Labels:

2 Comments:

  • As I've said a million times before, those cocksuckers aren't getting a nickel from me until they offer me every game, period. No blackout areas, no bandwidth limits, no strings attached, no excuses.

    Cable, internet, I don't give a damn how it happens as long as it does. And when it does, I'm in. Until then, I'm not at all in.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3:09 PM  

  • update: on further inspection, the extra innings package has been preempted by a week because the channels are all devoted to hockey.

    Hockey! Remember that? Who knew?

    By Blogger Alex, at 10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home