Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Monday, July 23, 2007

Tim Donaghy    

I think the news that Tim Donaghy was one of the refs of the Suns-Spurs infamous game 3 deserves its own post, though I don't have a whole lot to say. Simmons is already all over it. Deadspin has posted an amazing video that leaves no doubt just how horrible the officiating was that game.

Is this really happening? Was that Spurs-Suns game actually fixed? Individually those calls might not have added up to that much, and we don't see the fouls that went the Suns way in the video at least, but there were a lot a lot a lot of blown calls in that game. One diligent Truehoop reader (and Suns fan) has decided that Donaghy can't have decided the outcome, but the video, to me, is astonishing.

And I don't think the aggregate calls can really stand in as not-fixed, necessarily. Someone trying to alter the outcome of games (even in terms of total point-spread only), I think would be especially cautious to be fairly even-handed about the calls in terms of total number, but shift the game more subtly. So, Truehoop's reader does remind us that we shouldn't be too sure all this is related.

But it still stinks if you ask me, as if I needed anymore reason to be pissed about that series. I think we'll be hearing some more about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home