Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, October 04, 2007



So that happened.

Phillies looked like they had opening night jitters, with Chase and Howard ridiculously overaggressive at the plate, culminating in a combined 0-8, 7K line. Yikes.

Meanwhile, the Rockies boast two legititmate, professional hitters in Holliday and Helton. I've always loved watching Helton hit - so patient, so relaxed, he seems to see the ball better than most, and rarely gets totally fooled. Reminds me of Manny that way.

Cole had his usual early jitters, then settled in as the stud he is. On a normal night, the Phillies would have scored enough against this Rockies staff to pick him up. With so many starters playing like they were stressed, it just didn't happen. Manuel left Flash Gordon in for one batter too many, and then it was all over.

Hopefully they turn it around fast, and win this afternoon.

In other news, good god, I forgot how pathetic the Angels lineup is against any team not named the Yankees. Despite the AAAA lineup they trotted out, yes, I'm officially scared shitless of Beckett. He's piling up enough postseason dominance to make me a believer.

4 Comments:

  • whoa:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/sports/20071004_Umps__keep_an_eye_on_that_Rockie.html

    I saw him dump that shit all over himself, and wondered what the hell was going on. BizarrO!

    By Blogger Alex, at 8:47 AM  

  • I wouldn't dismiss the Angels offense so quickly. They had their struggles this year, but with a healthy, hitting Guererro, I think they're comparable to most of the other offenses in the playoffs. If they weren't starting Maicer Izturis, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with that statement.

    I'm glad the Cubs lost, but if this becomes the main story of this first round matchup, I'm going to flip my shit. Do people not realize just how good Carlos Marmol has been this year? His giving up the lead does not mean Piniella managed poorly, though the guys after Marmol in that bullpen...

    Idiots. If there is any pitcher on that team he should have faith in this year, it's Marmol. The man has given up 11 runs all year, and his K/9 was 12.5. It was probably between him and Heath Bell for best reliever in the NL this year.

    Now, 85 pitches is a pretty quick hook for Zambrano in a 1-1 game, particularly considering that I don't have so much faith in the rest of that bullpen. But you can't blame a Marmol HR on Piniella. He's the guy you want pitching.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 9:40 AM  

  • Yeah, their offense is comparable to the D-Backs and Cubs. They are also comparable to the Sox and Yankees and Indians in that they use baseball bats and have arms and legs.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 10:33 AM  

  • I think it's also comparable to the rest of the non-Yankees offenses, though not as good. I suppose the Phillies and Red Sox may be well out of their league too, I don't know. But Willits is fine as far as an OBP guy for the top of the order, Cabrera continues to hold his own, and while I don't have much faith in Figgins or Anderson, they've both been hitting very well this year. I'm a believer in both Kendrick and Kotchman, and Matthews Jr. won't kill you (though it was still a crappy signing). With Vlad tearing it up, I think it's a pretty decent lineup, unlike the past couple of years when it really was terrible.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home