Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Celtics Running Di... OH SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT???!?!?    

Here's what happened about an hour ago while watching the Bruins take an early lead on the flailing Sabres:

7:25 - Hey, the Celtics are on against the Nuggets.  Melo and AI... this should be an awesome game.  Haven't checked out the New Three yet.  Gosh, it's so weird having Garnett and Allen.  Why aren't I more excited about them?

7:35 - They didn't show Garnett's powder-splash.

7:42 - Wow, that was really sw... wait, that was really sweet... no, wait...

7:46 - Blocks?  Pick-and-rolls?  Uncontested backdoor plays?  Rajon Rondo steal + layup?

7:48
- PERK!!!!!

7:49 - WHERE DID... WHAT DID... WHO... WHAT?!?!??

7:50 - Welp... I peed my pants.

And I may pee them again if I keep watching this.

They just took the first quarter 38-22 from a deep, talented Denver team, and at this writing are up 53-30.  They shot 73% from the field through sixteen minutes, taking nothing but uncontested jumpers and backdoor layups.  Perk's being left alone inside right next to the cookie jar.  Rondo and Eddie House are looking like perfectly acceptable bit players, especially Rondo, who had two steal + layup plays in the first eight minutes.

Can you tell yet that I'm sold?

The extent to which this is the return of BASKETBALL to Boston cannot be overstated.  This was jawdropping, absolutely revelatory.  These guys are for real.  This is no mere 48-win team.  There will be no transition; it's already been made.

Getcha popcorn ready.

7 Comments:

  • The same deep, talented Denver team that lost to the Knicks last night? Anyway, you're probably right.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 8:37 PM  

  • 77-38 at half. SEVENTY-SEVEN!!!

    I honestly can't believe it. I didn't pay attention to any of the offseason/preseason hype, so I must be having a delayed reaction or something.

    I've done this at least a dozen times tonight... every time I see Garnett in a Celtics uniform, I break out laughing. What I'm seeing is such a ridiculous sight that I can't help but let out a loud, raucous cackle. I'm laughing right now. I can't stop.

    SEVENTY-SEVEN FUCKING POINTS!!!

    By Blogger Jeff, at 8:52 PM  

  • This is more a product of Denver not yet being in game shape, and coming off a grueling game against the Knicks the night before than it is of Boston being the balls.
    You telling me Carmelo "Baby Phat" Anthony is match fit yet? Please.

    Not that you shouldn't be excited. You've got the most enjoyable player in the league to watch, Ray Allen's lovable face and charisma, and Pierce's OMG factor lurking. Call me in April, when fatigue starts to set in.

    By Blogger Alex, at 8:34 AM  

  • I hadn't looked at the score.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 9:16 AM  

  • The Celtics have been playing the same garbage basketball for over 15 years now. I'm well aware of what a deceptively lopsided win looks like. There was NOTHING deceptive about what I saw.

    If I hadn't seen the game, I probably would've had exactly the same reaction as you. I assure you, Denver may have mailed it in, but they mailed it in against the Sexualharasserbockers too, and nearly won. The same act against the Celts put them down almost 40 points by halftime.

    And what's more important is HOW it happened. At no point in that comeback did the Knicks approach the level at which the Celtics spent the entirety of last night's game.

    The Nuggets clearly have a weakness with interior defense, since the Knicks came back via the same kind of easy inside buckets that the Celtics gorged themselves on. But whereas the Knicks burned down the shot clock praying that they could get the ball to Z-Bo and Curry, only to eventually fling it inside for a score, the Celts worked the ball around until they made a hole inside. It was textbook.

    Their shot selection was the best thing about what I saw. If you saw the shots they took, 73% shooting would be just about what you'd expect. You'd be disappointed by less.

    It was far and away the most professional Celtics performance I can profess to remember. They are playing REAL BASKETBALL.

    Just watch them. Watch them run the pick and roll. Watch them move without the ball, only to find the ball waiting for them under the basket. Watch them fly across the key to block shots. And then tell me to call you in April or whatever. If you really don't think they're all that, then fine. But do watch them first.

    That's what I really meant to say. I won't be calling you in April. I'm calling you now. As far as I'm concerned, this team has never been For Real more than it is right now.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 7:06 PM  

  • ok, sold. I'll give them a watch.
    You see this watch?

    By Blogger Alex, at 12:14 PM  

  • ok, sold. I'll give them a watch.
    You see this watch?

    By Blogger Alex, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home