Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

What A Difference A Day Makes...    

...sike!  FUCK YOU PATRIOTS, LOL

Nah, just kidding.  I still feel it was the wrong move, but I'll back off any accusations of incompetence, any blanket statements about it being an indefensible decision (I'm downgrading it to 98% indefensible), and any threats I might have made regarding the retrovirality of certain franchise employees.  Furthermore, I will give the Patriots a little bit of credit, for obvious reasons.  I've read some counter-arguments on the World Wide Web... here and here are good ones, albeit not entirely valid given the free pass the Pats brass gets on being a bunch of dicks.  The take-home message is that they have not screwed up royally on a single thing, nor quasi-royally, nor semi-royally, nor even consort-ly, since this run began.  That means something, I guess.

But despite giving them some credit, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt.  There's a difference.  I don't think they know about some big secret that would change the situation in any meaningful way.  I still think it came down to a small amount of money that they decided would be better spent on "Big Play" Chad Scott.  Easiest question of the week: who would you rather have... Paul Edinger and Chad Scott, or Adam Vinatieri?  I refuse to defend the Pats' decision there, and it would take some spectacular-ass revelations to change my mind.  I won't dismiss them entirely for this one mistake, though.  They have earned the right to a mistake, even a grave one like this.

That said, it still hurts.  First the aura-busting loss to Denver, now the aura-squishing absence of Vinatieri.  My three Super Bowl rings in four years are rusting over from all the tears.  I may be a champion (even though I don't drink like a champion) and I've definitely gotten my money's worth, but I still have feelings and loyalties that I want to honor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home