Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Sonics    

So, I haven't really been keeping up with the whole Sonics situation because it's been so depressing, but I ran across a couple of things recently that are actually pretty interesting. First, is an old-ish post from Supersonic Soul. The post basically claims that Vegas was never really an option, and that the new Sonics management may be forced to back down and just settle for Key Arena, or I guess maybe put up a lot of their own money for the new arena. I don't know if he's right, but it sounds great to me... Unless, that means new rumors of leaving every year until it eventually happens. That will be excruciating.

But, it may be that not all hope is lost. I mean, the Sonics are likely to suck for the foreseeable future, but they may be more stable than we think. Sonics Central, for example, points out that Chad Ford's draft board -- in the event of the Sonics picking 3rd -- has us taking Yi Jianlian. I figure that means we take him 5th as well, since I don't really get the sense other teams are likely to be that high on him. Oh no, you say? The Sonics taking another unproven big man, gambling on him being a dynamic force eventually? Well, yeah. But...

How the hell is the NBA going to move the Sonics away from Seattle with the second biggest Chinese star on the roster? You think Yi will pack in the fans in Oklahoma or KC like he would in Seattle? I think not. And let's be honest, it's time to blow this whole damn thing up anyway. So, we don't end up with Durant or Oden, I'm not sure it's so bad that the Sonics may go after Yi. How does this look, long term?

1) Draft Yi.
2) Do not resign Rashard Lewis
3) Trade Ray Allen at the deadline next year to some team who needs scoring for a playoff run
4) Hell, trade a bunch of other guys too. There is not one person on this roster that I am convinced can help the Sonics eventually win a championship.
4) Draft #1 overall next year
5) Profit

It's not as optimal as it could have been. We should have traded Rashard Lewis at the deadline this year, tanked, and drafted Durant. But with Yi on the roster, if he's 3/4 of the player that Yao is (and reports are somewhat promising), they cannot move the team from Seattle. It could re-brand the Sonics better than anything else I can imagine. And if the current ownership group decides they really can't move the team, at least they'll run the team like a business and not like Howard Schultz' little toy.

Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up or anything, but it'll be interesting to see how this all looks after the draft.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home