Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Springtime for Hitler and Major League Baseball!    

"People ask me what I do in winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." – Rogers Hornsby


The wait is over. Spring Training games have begun. In years past, I’ve used the “Pitchers and catchers report” date as the official start of spring (roughly the day after St. Valentine’s, if you’re wondering). This year, I’ve realized that the last two weeks of February hold only bad news for fans – your ace pitcher shows up fat, your stud closer needs surgery, your captain gets caught with an asshole full of HGH.

This year, I’ve realized that a big part of the joy of baseball lies in perusing box scores. And they ain’t no box scores without no games.

Today, there are games. Which means, there are box scores. Which means, baseball is back. Hell, as I type this, the Pittsburgh Pirates are up 4-0 in the 5th. I predict great things from the Bucs this year! What’s that? They’re playing a team called Manatee Community College? Even better! I predict an early rise, followed by a swift and horrific collapse!



Rejoice in the bizarre and wonderful world of spring training box scores! We got sunshine, green grass, prospects... everything a kid could want.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home