Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Monday, March 03, 2008

Sonics    

I'm sure most of you have at least glanced at some of the Sonics mailbag stuff Simmons has been posting. If not, you should. I guess, or not, I don't know.

I don't have a lot to say, except that while it's true that I'm incredibly frustrated/sad/furious/resigned/outraged about the whole situation, I am still glad the city of Seattle is not ponying up this money. Screw 'em all. I don't want to lose the Sonics, but I'd rather see them go than see these assholes get what they want. I look forward to watching the NBA fail in OKC eventually, not that I bear any particular ill-will towards NBA fans in that city.

No more extortion of municipalities for new stadiums. I will vote against any measure I have the opportunity to no matter where or when.

2 Comments:

  • It is entirely coincidental that my favorite email in either bag was from a guy from Boston in mailbag #2:

    Seattle deserves our praise, not our pity. The people there should hold their heads high, even if there is a tear in their eye. They were adults -- MEN and WOMEN -- who held firm when residents of other cities would have childishly voted against their own best interests and capitulated like cowards. Seattle said no to Clay Bennett, and no to his greed. The city grew a steel backbone. Losing the Sonics seems like a small price to pay for collective courage and integrity. We should all be so lucky as to have looked an immoral thing clear in the face, and told it to go screw itself.

    Which is basically what you said. Bravo. Losing them in this manner, no matter how heartbreaking, is something to be proud of.

    The only downside is that it's a futile gesture within the sports context. It doesn't turn (or even stem) the tide in the war on subsidized stadiums. It's not like Bennett and Stern want the Sonics to stay and are being told no. And it's not like Stern and the Maloofs will hesitate in the least to pull the exact same act in Sacramento when the Arco lease expires.

    But that's small potatoes. If restaurant space is what gets you guys kicked out of the NBA, then you can wear it like a fucking championship ring.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 12:54 PM  

  • Yeah, that email comment helped to solidify my emerging thinking on the subject, though I think I'd really already reached the conclusion.

    It is futile, true, and with that young core the Sonics could succeed financially in OKC for the better part of a decade. But it is still strangely satisfying to watch the NBA make a patently stupid move and know with full confidence that they're shooting themselves in the foot. It's wrong, what they're doing is wrong, and I'll have that argument with anyone.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home