Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

to T.O. or not to T.O.    

Ok, I've avoided bringing this up, because I found the press coverage of the whole debacle in Philly this past season to be extremely distasteful. But I came into the office this morning and saw this. T.O. is looking like he might be heading to Denver.

First- a preface- I love T.O.
Yep. He hooked me during my year in the Bay Area, when I got to watch him every week (this was during the extremely short-lived years when Sergio Garcia was a Pro-Bowler). I loved the swagger. I loved the size (oh, what a big man you are!!!). I loved the smile. I loved the shouting at teammates and coaches. The whole "I'm the biggest pimp in the room, and y'all should feel honored to share a field with me, so go get your goddamn shinebox" was amazing. What I loved was the honesty of it. I mean, he might pretend to be a decent guy, but it was ALWAYS with a wink and a roll of the eyes.

So when the Iggles signed him, I was psyched. I mean, here's this team, perennial bridesmaids, who have the worst goddamn wideouts in the league, and a versatile, big-play QB, and they decide to roll the dice and take a shot. Bravo! And it almost paid off big time.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. It gave the city a great ride, and made us all fall in love with Donovan again. Well, everyone except me, but that's another story.

I'm still a T.O. guy. I say if you need a rockstar receiver as badly as the Eagles did to make the leap to the big show, go for it, consequences and team chemistry be damned. You can always say, "Hey... we all know we needed a player with his ability. We took a shot."

So should the Broncos sign T.O.?

I'm of three minds here.
1- They sorely need a rockstar WR. Rod Smith is due for a career-ending back injury any day now, and barring that, he's still due to lose about three steps any time now, given his age. After him, we've got Ashley "Pinkston" Lelie, and Jeb "Don't Call Me" Putzier. Hardly a wrecking crew. Add T.O. to the mix, and whaddya got? Lelie a legit deep threat, cause he'll be ALWAYS in single coverage (much like Greg Lewis/Todd Pinkston were in Philly), and Jeb/whoever else matched against linebackers.

But, before we break out the popsicles (thanks BS)...

2- Is there a worse possible chemistry combination than Jake Plummer and T.O.?
No. I won't even argue this fact. T.O. would treat the Snake like his bitch from day one, and I've never seen a QB lead a team to the superbowl while wearing a gimp suit, whatever your opinion of Trent Dilfer may be.

3- Now... if they were to somehow cut Plummer and trade for Philip Rivers?
Tommy likey.

3 Comments:

  • Yeah, because TO would be the embodiment of patience with a young quarterback like Rivers. He certainly wouldn't call the poor kid out in the media while he's struggling to find his confidence. TO wouldn't do that, would he?

    I don't think there's a single situation where TO will fail to wreak havoc and destroy the team. Denver only makes sense by default... it's not a "good" situation as much as it's a "less bad" one. It's true that Shanahan is the kind of coach (read: bonehead) who would salivate over TO's potential and thus excuse/enable TO's idiocy. And they do need a stud WR. But the QB thing is just too much. Plummer or Rivers would get eaten alive. So he really can't be an option for them.

    There's only one natural home for him... the Raiders, where everyone's a jerk anyway, and the QB already has to put up with Randy Moss' shit. Can you imagine Owens and Moss on the same team? The NFL hasn't had a truly villainous team since the Cowboys reigned supreme. I'm sure some jerk QB would beg to be traded to Oakland if that happened.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 11:13 AM  

  • T.O. and Randy Moss on the same team, eh?
    This situation can mean only one thing.

    JEFF GEORGE!

    By Blogger Alex, at 2:37 PM  

  • I was thinking the exact same thing as I wrote it.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home