Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Up with swords!    

Take that, sheaths.

In other news, I watched both the Orange and Rose bowls, and loved both.
I've never liked college football much, but got suckered in a little this year due to my lady friend's allegiance to PSU. WE ARE...

Then I caught the 2nd half of the Fresno St. / USC game a few weeks ago, and was like, "Damn! This is like the NFL without any boring-ass defense!"

Which is exactly how I felt during the second half of last night's Rose Bowl. I don't fault USC's coaches for going for it on 4th down instead of punting- they weren't stopping Texas, no way, no how. And there had to be about a 98% they'd pick up those two yards.
I DO fault USC's coaches for not having a linebacker spy Vince Young. Or hell, three linebackers.
I do know that if Jon Cheney were on the sidelines, someone would have taken out Young's knees early in the third. SWEEP THE LEG!

Another thought I had was that that Vince Young kid is a beast. I wonder though how effective it'll be against NFL defenders, who are just as big as he is. It very much reminded me of when I lived in DC after college, and had the pleasure of watching The Artist Yet to be Named Ron Mexico Godzilla stomp his way through the rank and file of the NCAA. I still hold out that Vick and by extension Young could be great QBs, but it'll take some adaptation in the face of NFL's athletes.

My only other thought was wondering whether the Eagles will be able/should draft that #8 kid on USC when he eventually comes out in the draft (2007?). He's pretty damn good. 16 TDs this year. I loved his TD catch late in the game that left two Texas safeties crumpled motionless on the ground.

Do we know fear in this Dojo?

2 Comments:

  • The Orange Bowl was a travesty and a blight. As close as it was (and this goes for the Rose as well) I thought the coaching and decision-making in general was about as bad as it could have been. Joe Pa is 100% responsible for overtime. He had the offense lay up around the 20 instead of pushing the ball even closer. Classic example of "coaching to not lose," also known as "begging for your freshman kicker to choke." (Bad hold, not really his fault.) And this is one of the all-time greatest coaches? Joe Pa's the one who choked there. They didn't deserve to win that game. FSU being a racist institution (HOOOOOOOOOOO, ho, ho-i-OOOOOOOOOH...) trumps PSU coaching to not lose, but that was probably the first overtime game I've ever chosen to turn off instead of watch to the end. And then it turns out the poor kid missed ANOTHER field goal. That kicker should burn down Joe Pa's house.

    Pete Carroll's botching of the Rose Bowl... further evidence that even the best and brightest have no idea how to control their players.

    That's why college football ultimately sucks for those of us without a true allegiance... on the plus side, there's no defense, but on the minus side, there's no brains.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 9:40 AM  

  • The kicking fiasco was a major reason I loved the Orange Bowl so much. Did you SEE the PSU kicker?
    He was clearly awash in his own urine the whole time. Dude looked absolutely miserable to be there. It was amazing. And then when FSU's kicker choked, he sobbed on the bench in the middle of overtime! Awesome stuff.
    Understand, I am a man who faithfully tunes in the Little League World Series every summer, simply because of the assured must-see-tv that comes when the losing pitcher bawls on camera.

    By Blogger Alex, at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home