Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Why I Love Theo Epstein    

Let's face it: Theo Epstein is an American hero.  Though he got a little too much credit for the team's successes, and not enough for its failures (Renteria, Clement), I believe he's a hero primarily because the AP was able to submit the following "long story short" paragraph at the front of its story on Theo's return:

Theo Epstein will return to the team he built into a World Series winner, he and the team said Thursday night in a joint statement that did not say what his role would be. His long-rumored return comes 2½ months after he turned down a contract extension and fled Fenway Park in a gorilla suit to avoid the encamped media.

I'm glad he's back and all, but man oh man, reading that sentence was 100 times better than hearing he's back.  Just as Clinton Portis' alter egos were the highlight of the NFL season, Theo's gorilla suit is the unofficial highlight of the MLB offseason.  Personally, I think he should don the suit at his press conference.  Who in their right mind could possibly dislike Theo Epstein if he did that?

(Well, other than this guy.  According to the Midnight Star, they're keeping his brain alive inside a jar.  I wanna know, I wanna knoooooooow...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home