Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Monday, March 13, 2006

David Stern's A Democrat    

Who knew.  According to this, not only is David Stern the most politically-active figure in sports, but he's a staunch Democrat, having given hundreds of thousands of dollars in soft money to Democratic causes.  What an upset.  I guess I'll have to stop calling him Der Fuhrer, and start calling him Uncle Joe.

On the other hand, the two least-surprising revelations are that both A-Rod and Bucky Dent are Republicans.  A-Rod, in fact, gave $2,000 to the Bush reelection campaign in 2003.  Gee, that doesn't fit his persona at all.  I can understand simply giving to local Republicans, or having that leaning; ballplayers are millionaires, so naturally their first priority will be to protect their money and go with the tax cuts.  That said, leave it to A-Rod to give money to the biggest Republican villain since Nixon.  Keep it up, dong.

Also of note is that Troy Aikman and Dan Marino, both of whom personify the image of the dumb-as-rocks quarterback, are also Bush contributors.  If that's not further proof that George W. Bush is the official candidate of retards then I don't know what else to tell you.  Hell, I didn't even have to include Peyton Manning to make my point.

5 Comments:

  • I think the most interesting person on the list is Mark Cuban. 14% Dem., 14% Rep., 72% Special interest. If that doesn't spell diabolical plan, I don't know what does. Sad about Al Michaels though; I was hoping for at least a split, even if he spent more on the Republicans. At least Peyton only donated $2K.

    But, basically, putting politics in with sports is just bound to ruin our days. You realize, of course, your A-Rod commentary reflects about a billion times worse on Schilling. Did you ever hear those ads? "Hi, this is Curt Schilling. You trusted me all year long on the mound for the Red Sox, now I'm asking you to trust me and vote for George Bush for President." It sounded like it should have been illegal. Anyway, I'm sure you know that, I'm just reminding us that if we want to stay sane as sports fans, we pretty much have to ignore politics. But at least Schilling no doubt has his white, very Christian, Republican parents to blame. A-Rod has only himself.

    A year or two ago when they disclosed who on the Mariners were Democrats and who Republicans, there were maybe 4 Democrats, one of whom was Bobby Madritsch. If he can come back and be an effective pitcher again, he'll go down as one of my favorite ball players ever. Not quite Juan Dixon level for heroic backstory, but really a fantastic sports personality. I really wish he hadn't gotten hurt again.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 12:43 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 12:50 AM  

  • Additionally, how interesting that Peyton's donation was for Bush in the 2004 Republican primary. It's not exactly like Bush had a challenger at that point. I wonder if there's some tax distinction. Hmmm...

    By Blogger Jesse, at 12:52 AM  

  • Point taken, but Curt Schilling won me a fucking World Series. Between the World Series victory and his ensuing Stump For Stupid campaign, we're even. He gave me joy, I give him slack.

    On the other hand, what has A-Rod ever done for me? Besides choke, that is. This was just another in a series of final nails in the coffin. But this happens so often, that what was once the final nail in the coffin has now become just a big pile of nails being driven into each other, one after the other.

    OK, so that analogy makes no sense. But this one makes perfect sense: A-Rod sucks!

    By Blogger Jeff, at 12:59 AM  

  • I read today that the most booing in the WBC has been by Dominican fans against people wearing A-Rod jerseys.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home