Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Boom-Matsuzaka-laka    

My long regional nightmare is over!

Not much to be said at this point, beyond mea culpas regarding certain earlier posts of mine.  Scott Boras got absolutely PWN3D.  Red Sox ownership is now officially Red Sox pwn3rship.  Brilliantly executed.

Now that I can breathe again, I'm more prepared to get excited about Matsuzaka's impending arrival.  In the cheerleading spirit, I thought Nick Cafardo's feature on the contract was very good, specifically the quotes from one of the few likable Yankees in history, Mike Pagliarulo.  Pags scouts Asian players (including Matsuzaka) and calculates what their value would be to American ballclubs.  He had unabashedly positive thoughts as a knowledgeable outside observer.  Excerpts:

When asked what he would have recommended as a posting figure for Matsuzaka, Pagliarulo said, "Fifty million. That's what I had written down long before the figures came out. That was based on the talent level of the player, the market for the player, and the value of the player to a team. The Red Sox did an excellent job in finding that value. They really did their homework."

[...]

Pagliarulo has watched Matsuzaka closely the past few years. "I only scouted him when the proper matchups were in place," he said. "If you're scouting him haphazardly against any hitter or team, you're wasting your time. I wanted to see how he reacted against top hitters and I analyzed his strikes in the strike zone. The thing about him is he wants the baseball. He wants to pitch in the biggest stage and in the biggest game.  If you beat him, he's not fazed by that. He comes right back at the next hitter. He's a winner. He'a tough kid on the mound and I think that should translate very well to the majors."


That kind of rave is encouraging.  Of course, I'm in a very easily-encouraged place right now.  I got excited this morning when the Japanese prime minister called Matsuzaka "Japan's best pitcher," and said "his ability was fully evaluated" by Boston.  I read that and thought, "Wow!  He wouldn't have said that if it weren't true!"  Basically, I'm a big sucker.  But I figure I'll take a few weeks to bask in the glow, and then move on to figuring out how this could go wrong, just so I'm prepared.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Ah.. Pags. Bask in his glow.
    And bathe in his man-sauce.

    By Blogger Alex, at 2:53 PM  

  • on a more troubling note, Jeff, I see you're now taking your writing cues from Berman. Matzuzaka-laka? For shame.

    By Blogger Alex, at 2:54 PM  

  • I know, but I keep thinking of the NBA Jam announcer when I see Matsuzaka's name. HE'S ON FIRE! MATSUZAKA-LAKA!!! It's addictive, I can't help it.

    And I think you'll agree that ANYTHING is better than "Dice-K."

    By Blogger Jeff, at 2:57 PM  

  • At least Dice-K is actually how you pronounce his name. It's bad, but I prefer it to D-Mat.

    Anyway, good for you guys; I'm glad this worked out. Why hearing the Japanese prime minister say what we know already makes you feel good, I don't really know, but godbless. Have fun worrying about the impending injury. What will it be? When will it happen? How bad will it be?

    Now, back to me, can anyone explain why anyone would think Vidro will hit well enough to be a good DH next year? What do you think the odds that he outhits Snelling or Broussard are? Pretty low right? Also, true or false: Vidro would have passed through waivers if they'd put him on.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 3:07 PM  

  • Open letter to everyone in the world, ever:

    STOP TRYING TO FORCE PEOPLE'S NAMES INTO THE A-ROD SCHEME!!!

    Love,
    Jeff

    +++++++++++++++++

    Dice-K is indeed the way you say his name. But it's about as clever as calling Papelbon "Jon-F-N".

    I do prefer it to D-Mat. But I'd also prefer getting kicked in only one nut, as opposed to both, if possible.

    I'd just prefer we tie a nickname to his exploits, not to how we nicknamed A-Scrod.

    +++++++++++++++++

    As for Vidro, he probably passes through waivers. I could see the Dodgers or Yankees picking him up... hell, the Mariners could have picked him up. Hadn't considered that angle. Dear lord.

    The whole thing does make me wonder whether scouts are purposely feeding Bavasi bad intelligence. Who could scout Vidro and come back with not just a positive report, but a report good enough that Bavasi would give up two prospects?

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3:38 PM  

  • Hey-oooo

    Olney totally could have said "pair of kings" and had the same effect. If not better, since kings outrank queens even before addressing the whole subtext problem that attracts internet smartasses. So, in my humble opinion, this situation was a) entirely avoidable and b) not avoided, and thus is c) completely and utterly on purpose! ZOMG OLNEY SEZ THEO'S TEH GHEY, LOLZ!!!!!

    By Blogger Jeff, at 12:45 AM  

  • Not to motherfuck him to death, but Boras' comment on Matsuzaka is classic: "He is a surgeon on the mound," said Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras. "It's not just his power. He's almost like a surgeon with a chain saw."

    Also, is it pronounced Matsuzaka or Matszaka? I've heard both, and it would be consistent with dropping the "u" in Daisuke.

    By Blogger chas, at 1:21 PM  

  • It looks like both U's are silent, based on this.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 1:32 PM  

  • Almost all su's and tsu's in Japanese are silent--maybe all of them, actually. Don't remember so well about other u's.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home