Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Tim Lincecum Will Rip His Own Shoulder Off    

Tim Lincecum of the Giants is the best young power righty in baseball.  Giants fans ADORE him... because the team knocks $1 off LF bleacher prices for each strikeout he posts.  I had the pleasure of watching him in person when I went out west recently, and he can sling it.

He is almost exactly my size.  This article explains how that's possible.  The third page wins, for delving into the physics required to pitch a baseball 90 MPH, and what that means for the human body:

"Rick, do you know what that means in g-forces?" the doctor asked.

"I have no idea."

"If your entire body was accelerated at that rate of speed for over 60 seconds you would die."


GAAAAAAAAAAH.  Lincecum's size and delivery has had scouts thinking "torn labrum" for ages... turns out his delivery is actually more efficient, physically speaking.  (Scouts wrong?  You don't say!  Next you'll tell me they were wrong about Derek Jeter's defense, you silly person.)

2 Comments:

  • http://images.udubdish.com/images/admin/tim1.jpg

    By Blogger rusch, at 1:47 AM  

  • Well, that proves steroids aren't the explanation.

    By the way, errata.

    This post and its title were written at different points in time. Lincecum is, in fact, unlikely to rip his own shoulder off; that is the entire point.

    In your own minds, please either change the title of the post such that the word "NOT!" is featured prominently, or interpret the body of the post such that you think I'm a lot more ignorant about physics than I am.

    I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home