Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Patriots-Jaguars    

All those naysayers out there who disrespected Tom Brady and the Patriots can shut up!!!  Hehe.  Seriously though, they've covered their asses, and now the rest of the season is gravy.  Next week is gonna be HUGE.

My top ten thoughts on the game:

1. Jacksonville's defense is awesome.
That defense is just sick.  Their cupcake schedule belies their ability in a big way... they'd have made the playoffs no matter who they'd played.  If given just the slightest bit of help from their offense (see below) they'd have had a chance tonight.

2. Jacksonville's offense, however, is putrid.
In the words of Bill Walton, horrible.  I give credit to the Pats stuffing them, but good lord.  Someone make a friggin play!  This should've been a mismatch... excellent pocket-passer, big-game QB in Byron Leftwich, shaky secondary for New England... and it was a mismatch in the exact opposite direction.  I really like Leftwich's game, and I keep hoping for him to emerge as the top-flite QB that I think he is, but he needs help.  Fred Taylor and his groin aren't cutting it at RB, and though their other receivers are OK (Ernest Wilford, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams) none of them really demand attention from a defense.  Jones is the only one of the bunch who has a chance to really emerge.

3. Adam Vinatieri is my friggin hero.
I love that my team is well-prepared enough to pull plays like that pooch-kick out of its arsenal at a moment's notice.

4. Deion Branch made my heart fly out of my ass and knock over my beverage. 
When he dropped that bomb just before halftime, I nearly shat myself.  Good grief.  He would've been down by contact before rolling into the end zone, but still.

5. Michelle Tafoya sucks.
She slapped Bill Belichick's wrist for not participating in her idiotic halftime interview, and fellated Jags coach Jack Del Rio for no reason other than he did talk to her.  Pardon me, but what kind of treatment did you expect from Belichick, the NFL coach least likely to talk to you?  And regardless of Belichick's behavior, do you think it helps your cause to stab him in the back on national television?  Not smart.  Step 1, know your subject... step 2, act professional.  You bitch.

6. I wonder if Del Rio's complaints about the coach-QB helmet are legitimate.
According to Tafoya, the aforementioned cuntbag piece of shit, Leftwich's helmet headset was broken... but only at critical points in the game.  On the one hand, it seems awfully fishy, and I'm not about to put much credence in the words of a frustrated coach who's in the middle of trying to win.  And I have a hard time believing the Pats need that kind of edge.  But I kinda like Del Rio.  I don't think he's just any old schmuck looking for a competitive edge.  That's enough for me to not totally dismiss the comments.  Interesting.

7. Ben Watson makes Todd Heap look like a hobo.
Watson is the balls.  On any other team, Watson is a majorweapon in the passing game, but on the Pats he pops in and out of the gameplan.  That guy is unstoppable when he's used, and when's he's on his game.  If I were an OC, I'd call his number at least eight times a game.

8. There is no greater weapon on the goal-line than effective play-action.
The #1 reason the Pats are so effective inside the 5.  They have so many different variations on the theme that you have no idea whether Brady is handing off or passing.  They've run the same two passing routes on every play-action too: either the mystery FB runs straight to the front pylon, or the TE/WR runs straight to the goalposts.  In both cases, the pass is converted effortlessly, regardless of whether the receiver is a tight end, fullback, linebacker, down lineman, or even an offensive lineman.  If they get cute, and actually run the ball, they slam it in almost every time.  That's the most impressive part of their run in recent years... when they get it down close to the end zone, they almost never screw it up.

9. Congrats to Asante Samuel for getting his shit together.
I was glad to see him have a good game.  My main criticism of Samuel has been a lack of big plays, but he iced this game with an INT/TD.  Good on him.

10. I want Indy.
I think that's probably what will happen, although the Bengals haven't really bought into the whole "defense" thing yet.  Bengals-Stillers tomorrow will be a fun game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home