Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Surprise, Surprise (Beckham to L.A.)    

What is there really to say about this? Actually I should say that I am a little surprised...in that way that you get when something new happens that seems completely inevitable in retrospect, but still manages to seem like only one possible outcome before it happens. Sort of like our glorious leader's "surge" in Iraq...now that it's been announced, it's what I always knew would happen. But before, I wasn't quite sure he actually would keep barrelling down the same ridiculous path. Or any number of events related to Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, or Tom Cruise over the past year or so.

So, Beckham is what we thought he was. I guess I knew that, but somehow I've always suspected he was actually a little more normal than he appeared in the public eye. Who knows? Maybe that's still true. Doesn't really look like it, though, does it? It had to be L.A., didn't it? Couldn't he have played in NY instead? Oh well.

More interestingly, does this actually mean anything for MLS? Is he going to skyrocket MLS to real-sport status in the U.S.? Big exhibition games between L.A. and Real Madrid or something? I suspect this will not be nearly the impact certain people clearly hope it will be, but it will be interesting to find out. And for the Galaxy it may not really matter. It's L.A. after, and Beckham will sell more tickets there than he would anywhere else, I'd bet. Well, good luck to them both I guess. I hope it doesn't turn out to be as annoying as it could.

3 Comments:

  • I don't see why this is a problem.

    This isn't a huge move in terms of talent. Becks is washed up and irrelevant. He wasn't starting for Real, and he's done on Team England. The guy's celebrity exceeds his talent right now; why not LA?

    Since he's washed up, I think his effect beyond marginal ticket sales will be minimal. It won't boost MLS beyond soccer-mom-and-kids status. It certainly won't elevate the on-field product any. LA could certainly enter the exhibition circuit now, but nobody else really can. It's just short-term publicity.

    What the league really needs is Beckham from, like, 1997. A superstar with personality. That's the real reason MLS is still largely irrelevant... nobody cares about the players. Landon Donovan's the face of Team USA, and he's about as interesting as a manila folder. He's buying the league international credibility, but not fans. Beckham won't be that either, not unless ESPN fires up their propaganda machine.

    Anyway, more power to Becks and Vicks. I just hope they don't convert to Scientology.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 3:25 PM  

  • It's a done deal. They're converting, mark my words.

    Are you sure Beckham's THAT washed up? He couldn't start for some mid-level champions league team? Madrid's been so stacked with midfielders... Anyway, I guess that's sort of what I'm wondering. Either way.

    On an objective level, I completely agree with what you've said. If it had been any other European soccer star, I wouldn't have batted an eye at it. It just seems so ridiculous.

    By Blogger Jesse, at 4:15 PM  

  • Newly leaked-- L.A. Galaxy Viral Marketing Strategic Plan 2007

    step 1: lure Beckham

    step 2: lure Ron Jere--- I mean Maradona

    step 3:

    step 4: Profit!

    By Blogger Alex, at 4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home