Postgame Spread
You guys hangin' out? I'll hang out.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

NBA Draft strategy - Knicks    

The Knicks were in the lottery last night, and have a first round pick. This is unfamiliar territory for me as a fan.* They fell from 5th to 6th as a result of the Chicago Bulls' Bonanza. And while I think Chicago should take Beasley, and Miami should take Rose, I wasn't sure what my Knicks should do. Until I perused ESPN's draft machine.

Not a lot to love on that list.
Kevin Love? Pass.
OJ Mayo? Eh, maybe, but it seems too perfect, no? Plus, there's a 90% chance Starbury would murder him in preseason.
Brook Lopez? I like the guy, but we already have enough gay athletes in NY.
Eric Gordon? Pass. Why? Cause fuck Indiana, that's why.
Hibbert? As w/ Mayo, too perfect. Patrick Ewing ain't walking in that door.

So, what to do? Well, I looked over the rest of the list, and while I do like Brandon Rush, I don't see him as the answer for the Knicks' woes. That answer? JOEY FUCKING DORSEY.

I LOVE Dorsey. I don't care two shits that he's a total fucking headcase, that he has the emotional maturity of a 4 year old, or that he can't really shoot a basketball. Dude mauls people. He's a beast. He's got the most NBA-ready body (read: hulkesque) in the draft. Most importantly, I don't see a slam-dunk no doubter franchise player in this draft available at #6, so why not take a guy who is about 99% certain to at least be a decent piece on a team? Trade down, get another #1 pick next year if at all possible, grab Dorsey.

Oh, and DFA Starbury. Wait, you can't do that in basketball?

Update: I am NOT ready for the Danilo Gallinari experience featuring Eddy Curry.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • You go away for a weekend, and something like this happens.

    Dorsey?!?!?!??!?!??!? What exactly does he do that the Lee/Balkman tandem don't? To say nothing of Z-Bo and E-Bo, who aren't going anywhere. Rule of thumb: if you can imagine the Atlanta Hawks making your move, then propose the opposite of that move.

    My read is that if "fuck Indiana" is the best you can do (you Penn State suck-up, you) then Gordon is your man. The most glaring need is offensive control, so Gordon seems like the most likely to provide that.

    Mayo could help, but he doesn't really bring anything to the table that's not already there. He's the second dish of mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving. That said, he'd be fine too... I'm starting to think people are now underrating the overrated Mayo a little.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 12:10 AM  

  • (In case it wasn't clear, Mayo's redundancy is w/r/t having so many scoring/me-first "point guards" already.)

    By Blogger Jeff, at 12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home